close menu

Contractor tips: How to start a limited company

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jan 10, 2017
  • Operating through a limited company is a smart way for contractors to structure their earnings and can be more tax-efficient than self-employment. There are many advantages to forming a limited company, but the process can be tricky. We've put together a quick guide to get you started.
    Contractor tips - How to start a limited company

    The first steps

    Your limited company name must end with the words “limited” or “Ltd”. The name cannot be the same as any other company registered on the Companies House name index or suggest a connection with government or local authorities.

    Once you have decided on a name, you need to register your company with Companies House. You can do this online or by posting the necessary forms.

    Insurance for limited companies

    It’s a good idea to insure your limited company in case something happens to you, your staff, or a third party that you interact with. There are three main types of insurance you should consider getting to cover your company. They are:

    Corporation Tax

    Every limited company will automatically be registered for corporation tax, which is applicable to any profits that the limited company makes. One the registration has taken place, you will receive a confirmation document from HMRC showing your registration details as well as your corporation tax reference number.

    With a limited company, you can claim and deduct any expenses that are relevant to the business activities. These might include home office expenses, mobile phones, office equipment, and travelling to and from clients. The ability to deduct these expenses helps to save on corporation tax, as it reduces the amount of profit in the business.

    Accounting requirements

    It is important to stay up to date with all your limited company accounting requirements. You will need to ensure that your statutory accounts are completed and filed at the end of each financial year. Your statutory accounts must be sent to shareholders (if relevant), HMRC and Companies House.

    Your accounts need to include:

    • A balance sheet
    • Profit and loss account
    • Disclosure notes
    • A director’s report

    Your accounts must meet the International Financial Reporting Standards and the UK Generally Accepted Accounting Practices.

    We can reduce the hassle and stress of forming a limited company. If you have any questions relating to limited company setup, give us a call on  +44 (0) 20 7759 7553 or get in touch via email.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.