close menu

Contractors and VAT: Getting started

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Sep 28, 2016
  • Does VAT make your head spin? We’ve put together a basic guide on everything you need to know about VAT as a contractor in the UK.

    What is VAT?

    Let’s start with the basics. VAT, or value added tax, is a tax levied on the consumption of goods and services, ultimately paid by the final consumer.

    There are certain items that are zero-rated, including food, books, newspapers and young children's clothing, but these generally aren’t applicable to contractors and freelancers.

    If your limited company is VAT-registered as a contractor you need to add 20% to the value goods or services you provide to customers, and issue invoices which will serve as the official records to tax purposes.

    When should you register?

    It is compulsory to register for VAT when the turnover of your business reaches, or you expect it to reach, the relevant threshold – calculated per a 12 month rolling period. The current threshold is £83,000.

    By way of example, as at the end of August 2016, you have to look backwards from that month for 12 months stretching back to September 2015, and if the total turnover or sales amount for those 12 months is more than £83,000, it is time to get registered for VAT.

    It can be a painful set of consequences if your business has been trading for a few years and have inadvertently gone over the VAT threshold. HMRC is entitled to apply VAT retrospectively to the point where it reached the threshold and the additional amounts demanded can run into tens of thousands of pounds for a contractor or small business.

    What happens if you don’t register?

    You’ll be penalised 5%, 10% or 15%, depending on how soon after hitting the threshold you register with HMRC.

    • A delay of up to 9 months = a 5% penalty
    • A delay of up to 18 months = a 10% penalty
    • A delay of over 18 months = a 15% penalty

    Can you register for VAT if your turnover is lower?

    While it is not necessary, it could still be a good idea.

    When quoting for work, you’ll find that some companies insist that suppliers are VAT-registered. While registration might be advantageous, keep in mind that this will likely make your services more expensive than non-registered competitors and could affect your profit margin.

    Some small businesses also register for VAT in order to claim VAT back on items purchased.

    When do I start charging VAT?

    If you have registered for VAT, you should begin charging on the day you registered. There is no need to wait until you receive your certificate, as this could take up to 30 days.

    For any invoices issued between your date of registration and the date you receive your certificate, you will need to raise invoices as a total figure; this includes the sale amount and the VAT amount. Once you have received your certificate and VAT number, you can add this to your invoices, re-issuing them to customers, separating the sale and VAT amounts.

    What about VAT Returns?

    You’ll need to submit a VAT Return to HMRC every quarter, which needs to show your “output” tax – i.e. the total VAT you have charged your customers, as well as any VAT you wish to claim back against charges you’ve incurred for the company.

    VAT can be a complicated area with many facets to understand and keep track of. We know what the pitfalls are and by using our services we can help you through the process of getting registered, keeping your records in order, and filing VAT returns. Call us on +44 (0) 80 8141 1643 or send us an email and we’ll get back to you.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.