close menu

Could you have paid too much tax?

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Apr 25, 2016
  • If you’ve changed jobs, earnings or benefits during the last tax year, you could be entitled to a tax refund. It’s always great to have a little extra cash in your back pocket, so we’ve rounded up the 10 most common ways that you could have paid too much tax.
    Could you have paid too much tax

    Some credits, such as the PAYE tax credit, are given automatically, while others need to be claimed. If you have overpaid on tax in any way, you can claim for payments made over the past four years.

    Below are the most common scenarios in which you could have paid too much tax:

    1. You started a new job and had an emergency tax code for any period of time. If you have worked with a tax code starting with BR and OT, you will very likely be due a tax refund. Tax codes 1100L W1, 1100L M1 and 1100L X will generally result in the correct amount of tax being paid, but it is always worth checking for overpayments under these codes.
    2. Your employer was using the wrong tax code. You can find your tax code on your P2 Notice of Coding, your P45, or on your wages or pension payslip.
    1. You were not employed for the full year.
    1. You are or were a student who only worked during holidays and didn’t complete form P38S.
    1. You had more than one job at the same time.
    1. You had other income, which was taxed using your PAYE code. An example of this could be where HMRC has attempted to collect the tax due on savings or rental income via your PAYE code, but the amount that has been included in the code is too high.
    1. You stopped working and didn’t receive any taxable earnings or benefits for the rest of the year.
    1. Your employment circumstances changed. For example, you retired, were made redundant or became self-employed.
    1. You have taken a pension in the form of a lump sum rather than a small monthly amount. This often results in the tax paid on the lump sum being higher than the basic rate of tax.
    1. If you have worked as a subcontractor in the construction industry on the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) basis. In this case, you would have paid tax in advance as the contractor usually deducts a proportion of the money due to their subcontractor at source. The deducted amount is then passed directly to HMRC and counts towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance. Please note that CIS requires a Self-Assessment tax return to be filed.

    How do you get your money back?

    Quite easily. Complete this form, send us a few signed documents, and we’ll do the rest. No need to worry about long queues or endless phone calls. Get your money back from the comfort of your couch.

    We operate on a strict no refund, no fee policy – so you have nothing to lose and possibly hundreds of Pounds to gain.

    Ready to get started? Fill out our online tax refund assessment form as a guideline of what you might be owed, or call us on +44 (0) 808 141 5503.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.