close menu

Four of the most important things you need when moving to the UK

by Leanne Shrosbree | Dec 12, 2018
  • Whether you’re considering relocating to the UK permanently or want to spend a gap year in London, moving countries is not a simple process. It pays to do a little homework to ensure a successful relocation and to make things easier. An online search can provide an overwhelming amount of information, that’s why we’ve put together a simple guide on what to take care of first.

    The requirements for being able to move to the UK will vary depending on whether you’re an EU national or non-EU national. Currently, EU citizens don’t need to have a visa to move to the UK. However, this could potentially change in the future as Brexit negotiations between the EU and UK are still ongoing.

    Moving to the UK as a non-EU citizen

    As a national from outside the European Economic Area, one of the first things you’ll need to do is to secure yourself a UK visa. The UK offers a number of visa options that will allow you to live and work in the UK. There are student visas, an Ancestry visa, a UK working holiday visa (only available to individuals from participating countries), business and investor visas, partner visas, EEA family permits and work visas.

    The process of applying for a UK visa is complicated and costly, so you really want to ensure you get it right the first time. It’s a good idea to speak to an experienced UK immigration expert before you begin the visa application process. They have up-to-date knowledge of UK immigration laws and can assist you with finding the right visa for your circumstances. They will also guide you through the application process and answer any questions you may have about moving to the UK.

    If you want to move to the UK on a Tier 2 (General) visa, you will first need a job offer from a UK-based company. The company must also be willing to sponsor you. If you’re moving to the UK via an intra-company transfer, you will also need a Tier 2 visa.

    Have a question about applying for a UK visa?

    Getting a job in the UK

    In the UK, most job applications are done through recruitment agencies. Finding a job without a specialist recruiter can be difficult if not impossible.

    What’s more, you’ll also have to ensure that your CV gets to the right recruitment agencies and that it’s in the correct format. Generally, recruiters like to know that you are legally allowed to live and work in the UK. They may request that you provide them with proof of this.

    If you need a little help navigating the UK job market, look no further than our job assistance service. We’ll put you in touch with some of the UK’s best recruiters. What’s more, we can also help you get your CV in the correct format so that it really stands out from the crowd.

    Need help getting into the UK job market?

    Get your National Insurance number asap

    If you want to work in the UK, you’re going to need a National Insurance (NI) number. An NI number is a unique code that is used by the UK government to record your taxes while you’re employed in the UK. It also keeps a record of any contributions that are owed to you when you leave the UK.

    Getting an NI number is notoriously challenging simply because of the admin and waiting involved. You must be present in the UK to apply for your NI number. It’s also important that you apply for your NI number soon after you arrive in the UK. While it is possible to work without one, the longer you do so the more tax you’ll pay. This then means that you’ll end up taking home less money.

    Don’t do it alone, let us help

    You can avoid the frustration and hassle that comes with doing it yourself by using our NI number service. We call the Department for Work and Pensions and register your details. We arrange your Evidence of Identity Interview with and ensure that you are fully prepared with the right documentation.

    Want to apply for you National Insurance number?

    Get a UK bank account

    For a newcomer in the UK, it’s incredibly difficult to open a UK bank account. This is because the banks require three months of recent utility bills from a UK address and a lease agreement. Since you’re new to the country, it will take some time before you have these documents.

    Open a bank account the easy way

    There is an easier way to open an account that doesn’t require you having to wait until you have all these documents. As part of our UK Relocation Package, we can help you open a fee-free UK bank account shortly after you’ve landed in the UK.

    We can do this because we have excellent working relationships with some of the UK’s major banks. We will personally introduce you to the bank and book a meeting for you. You’ll be able to open a bank account in one day with no minimum deposit required, no need for mountains of paperwork and no need to stand in queues for hours.

    Want to set up a UK bank account?

    That’s it. With permission to live and work in the UK, a job, an NI number and a UK bank account you’re all set up for your new life in the UK.

    We can help you get your new life started from the moment you arrive in the UK, stress-free. Send our 1st Contact team an email for assistance with getting your NI number, setting up your bank account and career advice.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Mother, daughter and grandmother
      Australia’s new five-year parent visa – another way to bring your parents Down Under
      Apr 01, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.