close menu

Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family

by Sam Hopwood | Oct 18, 2019
  • Australia’s robust economy has made it one of the most attractive countries to start a business in. One area that is attracting a lot of attention from foreign investors is Australia’s flourishing property market. If you own and run a successful property development business, this could be your opportunity to move Down Under.
    Sydney skyline

    A sound investment that opens the door to Australian citizenship

    With 28 uninterrupted years of growth, the Australian economy has been the exception to the rule on the world stage. In that time, the Australia property market has provided an average capital growth of 6.8% a year. A growing economy and a growing population have meant that Australia has been building homes at a rapid rate, but still more are needed.
    CoreLogic graph

    Image source: CoreLogic

    Many analysts believe that the property market has reached a high point and that investors and developers will need to carefully study the markets in order to find value and a return on their investment. If you are a business owner, investor or property developer looking to break into the Australian market, you need to carefully consider your options.

    Setting up a business in Australia on a Business Talent visa (subclass 132)

    There are various Australian visas that allow you to move to Australia and establish a new business or develop an existing one. The Business Talent visa (subclass 132) is designed for talented business owners who want to do business in Australia. What’s great about this visa is that once you get it, you immediately have permanent residency in Australia, valid for five years. After five years, you will need a Resident Return visa (RRV) if you need to re-enter Australia, but you may also be eligible for citizenship after four years living as a permanent resident. This visa comprises of two streams:

    • Significant Business History
    • Venture Capital Entrepreneur

    To be eligible, you must be under the age of 55, own a business with a turnover of at least AUD3 million and have net assets of at least AUD1.5 million. You must be nominated by a state government in Australia and be invited to apply for the visa. This involves “pitching” yourself and your intended business concept to the state government. If the state government likes your pitch, you will be invited to apply for the visa.

    Not all state governments are looking for property developers, so it’s important to understand the local areas and have a strong business plan which fulfils the needs of the state government.

    Why choose the Business Talent visa

    The Business Talent visa is valid for five years and allows you to live and work in Australia permanently. You can bring your partner and children with you and they will have the right to live, study and work in the country. You will be allowed to enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare, which gives you access to free or subsidised healthcare.

    What’s more, you and your family can leave and re-enter Australia whenever you wish for the duration of the visa, and you may also be able to apply for citizenship after four years.

    A long-term investment requires a trusted partner

    Sable International has partnered with advisors in Australia who have skills in property advocacy, construction project management and financial planning. The result is a structured product which satisfies the requirements of state nomination under the 132 visa subclass. This is not a “set and forget” purchase – it requires ongoing management of your new business in Australia.

    Our team in Australia will train and provide you with the local knowledge so you can continue to buy, develop and sell property within your own company.    

    If you are not looking for residency and simply want to purchase an investment property in Australia, this is also possible.

    If you are over 55 and own a business, there are other visa options available to you which allow you to come to Australia and expand your business – speak to us about your situation.

    The Australian immigration system is notoriously complex, so don’t go it alone

    Applying for an Australian visa without the correct guidance can unfortunately lead to a lot of wasted time and money. Get in touch with a MARA-registered Australian migration agent who can assess your situation and advise you on which visa would suit you and your business interests best.

    We've been helping people migrate to Australia for over 20 years. Get in touch with our Australian visa experts in Melbourne if you're interested in this visa. Complete our free assessment form or email us at

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.