close menu

Nine ways to survive the Self Assessment tax deadline

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jan 16, 2014
  • The Self Assessment tax return deadline is almost upon us. If you haven’t completed your online return by midnight on the 31st January, you face a minimum penalty of £100 – even if you don’t owe any tax. We’ve compiled nine easy tips to help you survive this deadline.
    1. Get started now
      Be sure to complete the self assessment registration process by 15 January 2018 at the latest in order to have a chance of submitting a return by 31 January 2018.  If you already have an account but have lost your ID and password details, you can always visit the HMRC’s help page.
    2. Know your numbers
      In addition to your ID and password, you’ll need your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. You should find this 10-digit number on any HMRC paperwork you may have been sent. If not, you must request it again and allow at least seven days for it to reach you. Make sure you don’t confuse your Unique Taxpayer Reference with your National Insurance number, which is always in this format - AA 12 34 56 B.
    3. Crack the code
      If you’ve been paid PAYE, it’s your responsibility to check that your employer has deducted the appropriate amount of tax. It’s not uncommon to find that you have been paying too little (or too much) tax as a result of being on the wrong code. A tax code is usually made up of several numbers and a letter.
    4. Conquer your form-a-phobia
      If filling out forms makes you break out in a cold sweat, you are not alone. About four million other people have left their submission to the last minute too. But HMRC have heaps of help on their website. Once you’re up and running, the calculations are all done automatically and there is onscreen assistance to hold your virtual hand through each step of the application. You can familiarise yourself with the process before taking the plunge with this demonstration.
    5. Gather the paperwork
      Make time to gather all the necessary paperwork before you start completing the form. Things that are often overlooked include interest details on bank and building society accounts, details of dividends, trust funds, receipts and invoices - and of course, the ever-elusive P60. NOTE: If you’ve lost your P60, contact your employer for a replacement - not HMRC.
    6. Give yourself a break
      You’ll be amazed at how many things you can claim for to help reduce your tax bill. Useful tax breaks include mileage allowance, costs of working from home and specialist work clothes.
    7. Give to receive
      If you’ve made any charitable donations, remember to fill in the section ‘Gift Aid Payments’. This will allow the charity to reclaim the basic rate of tax on your donation. So a £10 gift is actually worth £12.50. If you pay a higher tax rate, say 40%, you may benefit as well as the charity. If you gave £100, it is actually worth £125 to the charity and you can claim back £25 (or £37.50 if you pay tax at 50%).
    8. Cough up
      So you’ve made it through the form and have reached the calculation page, but there are still two things you must do. Firstly, your application is not submitted until you re-enter your user ID and password, and secondly, you must pay up by January 31st – undoubtedly the most painful part. Luckily, HMRC has a multitude of ways you can make your payment.
    9. Don’t make excuses
      If, despite all your best efforts, you still don’t make the deadline, you can attempt to be pardoned from the fine. You do, however, need to have a valid reason why you couldn’t fulfil your legal requirements within the allocated time.  Unfortunately, flimsy excuses don’t qualify. To find out if your excuse for being late is reasonable, contact HMRC or call them directly on 0300 200 3310.

    If you’re still lost in the sea of Self Assessment, the easiest way to sail through is to employ the services of a qualified accountant. Visit 1st Contact Accounting or call 0808 141 2341. 

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.