close menu

No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK

by Leanne Shrosbree | Jul 28, 2017
  • Relocating to the UK and want to bring your pet across the ocean? Here are some important tips to help get them to their new home happy and safe.

    Requirements differ depending on whether your furry (or non-furry) friends are arriving from a non-EU listed country, like Australia and New Zealand, or an unlisted country, like South Africa.

    Are you coming from an unlisted country?

    Here’s what you must do when bringing your pet to the UK:

    Are you coming from a listed non-EU country?

    When entering from a listed country, it’s much easier to bring your pet with you. All you require is a pet passport from your nearest vet.

    We advise that you double-check your vet has filled out the following information on the passport:

    • Details of ownership
    • Description of animal
    • Marking or identification of animal
    • Vaccination against rabies
    • Rabies blood test(if needed)
    • Details of the vet issuing the passport (if needed)
    • Your dog’s tapeworm treatment(if needed)

    It is also important to note that you’ll have to wait 21 days from the date of their rabies vaccination before travelling.

    Do you have exotic friends?

    If you want to bring an exotic pet such as a rodent, rabbit, bird, invertebrate, amphibian or reptile, they must spend four months in quarantine. If you’re bringing a rabbit or rodent with you, you’ll also need a rabies import license.

    When taking an animal that is not indigenous to the UK, you will need to apply for a special license. You also need to need to contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) to find out:

    You can be fined or prosecuted if you:

    • Allow any non-native animal to escape into the wild in the UK
    • Release any non-native animal without a license to do so
    • Keep a non-native animal without the proper license

    When entering from an unlisted country the requirements are the same as above, but with one addition: A blood test must be taken at least 30 days after the animal’s rabies vaccination.

    You’ll also have to wait three calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken before travelling. The copy of the test results, supplied by your vet, must show that the vaccination was successful and should be sent to an approved blood testing laboratory.

    Don’t leave your pet behind

    It’s very important that you meet all the requirements before arriving in the UK. Failing to do so will mean that your furry (or feathery, or scaly) friends will be put in quarantine and you’ll have to pay for both the transport costs and the accommodation.

    Alternatively, if this all sounds like too much to deal with and you don’t want to risk getting it wrong, there are a number of professional services who will take care of the admin for you. Three popular companies are FlyPetsPet Movers and Airpaws.

    Make moving to the UK easy. Check out our UK relocation packages or send us an email on with any relocation-related questions you might have.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • young-friends-drinking-beer-at-pub
      10 interesting facts about the UK working holiday visa
      Nov 27, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • isle-of-skye-uk
      The top 10 places to visit in the UK (that are not London)
      Nov 08, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • stethoscope-uk-flag-nhs
      Moving to the UK? Here’s some great news about the NHS
      Oct 18, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • House-and-family-in-hand
      Read this before immigrating to the UK with your children
      Oct 02, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • atm-hand-cards-bank
      How to open a bank account in the UK
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.