close menu

The Portuguese language test for citizenship and permanent residency

by John Dunn | Nov 28, 2018
  • Portugal’s Golden Visa programme offers an excellent lifestyle and financial investment for South Africans. But, after a successful application, you will still need to pass a Portuguese language test before being granted residency. We’ve put together a short guide to help you understand what this means and how you should go about preparing for the test.

    The benefits of gaining Portuguese permanent residency and citizenship

    Once you’ve held a Golden Visa for five years, you and your family can apply for permanent residency and then Portuguese citizenship. To be eligible for permanent residency you must meet several requirements. These include not being convicted of a crime punishable by a prison sentence while holding a Golden Visa and having a place of residence in Portugal.

    You also need to prove that you have “basic knowledge” of Portuguese and will have to take a language test. You will need to submit the certificate showing you passed the test with your application for citizenship or permanent residency.

    Portugal has one of the world’s most powerful passports and is ranked at number three on the Passport Index. Holders have visa-free access to 122 countries throughout the EU’s Schengen Area. Other benefits include social security as well as access to top education institutions for students. It is a multi-year path to Portuguese citizenship, but providing this kind of security for your family is priceless.

    Have a question about Portuguese citizenship or permanent residency?

    What does it mean to have “basic knowledge” of Portuguese?

    To prove your knowledge of the language, you’ll need to be able to read, write and speak adequately in Portuguese. This includes having a good understanding of Portuguese phrases and frequently used vocabulary. You will need to take the language test whether you apply for permanent Residency or citizenship.

    What does the test entail?

    You will need to take the Level A2 exam (also called CIPLE), which takes place twice a year at accredited testing centres worldwide . It is recognised by Portuguese legislation as the minimum level for acquiring Portuguese nationality. Before you can take the test, you’ll first need to register at your chosen testing centre.

    When do you need to take the test?

    You may take the language test at any point after acquiring your Golden Visa. However, you must pass the test before you apply for permanent residency or citizenship.

    Preparing for the test – don’t leave it too late

    It’s a good idea that you take the steps to learn Portuguese soon after acquiring your Golden Visa. This will give you enough time to get comfortable with the language and build your confidence before taking the test.

    I would recommend that you either enrol in an online course or at a centre that offers the A1 and A2 courses. If you do make use of supplementary methods of learning, it’s vital that you ensure that the course you take or language application you download is the local Portuguese language and not Brazilian.

    If you have any questions about Portuguese permanent residency, citizenship or the language test, our Golden Visa consultants are on hand to help. Get in touch with us on +27 (0) 21 657 2141 or on

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.