close menu

It’s simple: SMEs in the UK need accountants, here’s why

by Scott Brown | May 18, 2017
  • Starting and running your own business in the UK is one of the most exciting and challenging things a person can do with their career. Unfortunately, what lies before every new business owner is a minefield of regulation and administration that can quickly turn excitement to despair. It might sound a bit daunting, but there are accounting professionals who can help you make sense of this regulatory maze. Let’s talk about how to find the right accountant and why your SME needs one.
    a wooden sculpture of a man going up the stairs

    First things first, find the right accountant

    Nobody likes to talk about tax. Whether it’s Income, Capital Gains, Value Added or Company’s Tax, most SME founders are often intimidated by how complex tax legislation can get and in desperation they turn to the first recognisable accounting firm they find. However, not all accountants are created equal.

    Many firms are extremely opaque in the way they deal and communicate with their clients; this can be demoralising as well as inefficient if you are running a small business. However, there are smaller boutique firms that can help you make sense of your tax without having to take your attention away from the running and growing of your business.

    A lean UK-based accounting team will be able to advise you on the specifics of your country’s tax legislation. Country’s like the UK are infamous for their complex tax law. With the introduction of Tax Made Digital in 2018 a new level of tax complexity will be added. Hiring an accountant that not only understands the intricacies of the law, but is also able to explain it to you in terms you can understand, will be invaluable to your business.

    Accounting firms, depending on their expertise, can also help advise you on your payroll needs. In the UK, this is particularly important right now with the roll out of the auto enrolment mandatory pension programme now applicable to all new businesses being founded in the UK.

    Ideally, you’ll want to find an accounting service that can offer you a comprehensive service that ranges from company formation advice all the way down to payroll and completion and filing of the company’s statutory reports. In this way, you can focus on growing your business while your accountant ensures all your filing dates are met and that your books are all 100% above board at all times.

    Wait, what was that about mandatory pensions?

    As alluded to above, auto enrolment is a mandatory programme that all UK employers must abide by. It seeks to ensure that all workers over the age of 22 that earn more than £10,000 a year are provided for in their retirement.

    The scheme is complex and requires a close interaction between both payroll services and financial advisers. It is only in this way that adherence to National Pensions Regulator directives can be combined with optimum pension outcomes for employees.

    Find out more about auto enrolment.

    Reach out to us today for a bespoke SME accounting solution. Email us on or give us a call on +44 (0) 20 7759 7553.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.