close menu

Tax payments bounce after HMRC changes bank account

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jun 01, 2016
  • HMRC has changed its IBAN bank account without properly informing taxpayers. This means that millions of Pounds in Corporation Tax and VAT payments made since February are bouncing. As a result, HMRC is unfairly sending out penalty notices to UK business owners. We show you how to find out whether your business has been affected.

    Which businesses have been affected?

    Any company or contractor paying tax using IBAN may be at risk. Most, but not all, of these taxpayers are foreign businesses who have operations in the UK.

    By paying their tax into the wrong accounts, these businesses are being flagged by HMRC as being late with their payments. HMRC then serves penalty notices to these businesses.

    Many business owners only discovered that HMRC had changed bank accounts when they received penalty notices.

    To add to the confusion, HMRC gives no clear indication on how to make payment on these outstanding amounts. However, the correct IBAN reference can be found on the website.

    Some businesses were informed of the changes to the IBAN account, but many firms disregarded these notices. Why? According to the Guardian, these firms, and some of their accountants, thought the letters were a hoax as they were riddled with grammatical errors.

    HMRC admin takes focus away from your business

    Being in this situation can be incredibly stressful. You don’t want to be dealing with this type of admin when you have a business to run.

    Mistakes like this would not be a massive problem if it were easy for individuals to directly contact HMRC. Unfortunately, this is often not the case. Business owners frequently complain about long hours spent on the phone trying to get through to the right employee at HMRC, often ending in a dead end and frustration.

    These unresolved issues are all the more stressful when the threat of penalties loom large for non-compliance.

    Let us deal with HMRC

    1st Contact Accounting can contact HMRC on your behalf and sort out any misinformation or unclear announcements from the tax man. Should you use as your accountants, we can act as your authorised agent, which means an easier and more effective way to deal with HMRC correspondence.

    If you’ve received a penalty notice, or are unsure if your business has paid its Corporation Tax and VAT correctly, we advise that you contact us for a consultation.

    Give us a call on +44 (0) 80 8141 1643 or send us an email, and we’ll help you make sure your tax affairs are settled.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.