close menu

The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa

by Guest writer | Jun 13, 2019
  • The UK is filled with amazing sights, foods and culture. It’s a prime study destination for international students due to its world-class universities and work opportunities. You can study in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa, but it’s also important to take out travel insurance.

    In order to set off on your UK adventure, you’ll need to obtain a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

    The first step in getting the student visa is meeting the requirements.

    Qualifying for the Tier 4 (General) student visa

    If you’re 18 or older, you’ll need a general student visa to study at a UK college or university. The Tier 4 visa is awarded on a points-based system and you’ll need at least 40 points to be eligible.

    You receive points for the following:

    • Being accepted into a college or university that is a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
    • Proof of enough funds to pay for the course and support yourself*

    *The amount required will vary based on your situation

    To apply for the visa, you’ll also need to be from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. The EEA is comprised of all the countries in the EU as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

    Qualifying for the Tier 4 (Child) student visa

    If you’re an international student who’s under 18, you’ll need to apply for the child student visa to study in the UK.

    To qualify for the Tier 4 (Child) student visa, you’ll need:

    • To be accepted into your chosen school
    • The consent of your parent or guardian
    • Enough money to cover your course fees and living costs
    • To be from a country that’s not part of the EEA or Switzerland

    Tier 4 (General) student visa restrictions

    After receiving your student visa, you’ll need to know what you can and can’t do.


    • Studying at your chosen university or school
    • Working as a student union sabbatical officer
    • Applying to extend your stay
    • Employment at most locations*

    *This depends on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have

    Not allowed:

    • Obtaining public funds
    • Working in certain fields (professional sportsperson or coach)
    • Studying at an academy or a local authority-funded school

    Clear up any confusion

    The application process for a Tier 4 visa can be complex. You need to get it right the first time to avoid application denials and non-refundable charges. Make it easy by speaking with a registered immigration advisor about any Tier 4 student visa queries. They can assist you to understand the requirements and ensure your application is flawless.

    The importance of purchasing a travel insurance plan

    Another important part of preparing to study abroad is making sure you have a travel medical or student insurance plan. When you travel to another country, your or your parent’s medical coverage might not follow you. If you find yourself in a serious medical situation, you may be responsible for covering the costs yourself.

    Travel medical and student insurance plans help you if you’re sick or injured during your time in another country. These plans cover a wide variety of medical expenses, including emergency medical evacuations, political and natural disaster evacuation and coverage for terrorism events. They can offer deductibles as low as zero. In addition to the medical coverage, these plans also include lower level benefits for loss of luggage and trip interruption.

    A reason to buy

    Here’s an example of why you should purchase one of these plans:

    Say you’re going on a hike through the woods with a group of your new friends. As you’re enjoying the day, you accidentally step into a hidden hole and break your ankle. Because of this accident, you’ll have to take an ambulance to the hospital, where you’ll be seen by an emergency room doctor. Depending on the severity of the break, the physician may recommend follow-up visits with a physical therapist. And for the next four to six weeks, you’ll be relying on crutches to move.

    Without purchasing a travel medical or student plan, you’d be responsible for the ambulance ride, emergency room treatment, and any subsequent doctor’s visits. Without coverage, you could find yourself liable for a lot of money.

    Studying in the UK can be an incredibly rewarding experience that can open up opportunity for the future. Make sure you’re covered while you travel, so you can focus on completing your course.

    Looking for the perfect place to purchase travel medical insurance or a student plan? Try Seven Corners. They’re a travel insurance company that’s been around for more than 25 years, serving more than a million customers every year. For any questions about coverage, call +1 317 575 2652 or email

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.