close menu

Travel update: UK transit visas

by John Dunn | Nov 20, 2014
  • From 1 December 2014, anyone holding a valid visa or residence permit for Australia, New Zealand, the United States or Canada will be exempt from obtaining a transit visa when passing through the UK.

    You will have up to 24 hours to move on to your next destination at no extra cost as long as you don’t need to pass through passport control. This means that if you fly into Heathrow and have a connecting flight out of Gatwick, Stansted or Luton airport you will need a Visitor in Transit visa to catch your connecting flight.

    Other requirements:

    • You must arrive and depart, by air, from the same UK airport to another country outside of the Common Travel Area (UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland)
    • You need to be properly documented for your onward destination
    • You are also exempt if you possess an EEA or Swiss category D visa or an Irish biometric visa

    Without a valid visa from one of the countries listed above or a valid UK visa or passport, you will have to apply for and purchase a transit visa. The good news is that the price has been reduced and you now have two years to use your transit visa from the date of issue.

    Transit Visas fall into two categories:

    • Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) £30 – Lasts 24 hours and does not allow you to pass through passport control.
    • Visitor in Transit visa £54 – Lasts 48 hours and allows you to pass through passport control (necessary if you are travelling on to another UK airport or region inside the Common travel Area).

    You will need to provide two full-colour passport photos, a current passport and all other valid travel documents when applying.

    For fast, expert assistance with your UK visa or passport that beats the queues, visit 1st Contact Visas.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.