close menu

Travelling to the UK for business or leisure? You’ll need a Standard Visitor visa

by John Dunn | Aug 10, 2017
  • The way in which you apply for a visa that allows you to visit the UK for business or travel has changed in recent years. There are now no longer discreet categories for business travellers and holiday makers. If you’re planning on visiting the UK, here are a few things you should know about the Standard Visitor visa.
    London Big Ben

    For those of you heading to the UK on holiday

    The Standard Visitor visa allows the holder to visit the UK for up to six months at a time. When applying for one, make sure you have a clear itinerary stating how long you will be in the UK, where you are going and what you will be doing.

    Immigration officers pay special attention to your itinerary so make sure you can answer them correctly if they decide to test you on it.

    In addition to showing immigration officials your planned activities, you also need to prove that you can financially sustain yourself during your time there, without recourse to public funding or working.

    When getting your application together, it is best to gather all your required documents beforehand. There is almost always additional paperwork that you need to prepare, depending on your situation.

    If you submit these documents incorrectly your visa will be rejected, so it’s best to consult a visa expert to ensure your visa application is granted.

    What if you’re going to the UK for business?

    If you’re looking for a temporary business visa to the UK, you are now required to apply for a Standard Visitor visa. As with the old business visas, when you are in the UK on a Standard Visitor visa, you may not generate any additional income from:

    • Finding employment within the UK
    • Trading
    • Participating in any business activity

    This visa will cover business-related activities such as:

    • Attending meetings or conferences
    • Arranging deals
    • Negotiating or signing trade agreements or contracts
    • Undertaking fact-finding missions
    • Checking details or goods
    • Conducting site visits
    • Promotional activities

    If you’re still not sure what you can and can’t do while in the UK on business, contact a UK visas expert.

    Whether it’s for business or leisure, our visa experts in Cape Town, Melbourne and London can help you get your UK visa sorted. Send an email to  and we’ll get back to you.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.