close menu

Visa news: Student visa maintenance fee regulations are updated

by John Dunn | Oct 23, 2015
  • A new maintenance fee structure is coming into force on 12 November 2015. If you’re an international student planning to study in the UK, you should apply for your Tier 4 visa in the next 30 days to avoid this. Maintenance fee requirements for students in the greater London area will increase from £820 to £1,015 per month. If you have any dependents, their maintenance fees will also increase, from £460 to £680 per month.

    What’s new for students?

    You will need to have cash reserves for either the length of your intended course of study or nine months, whichever is shorter. New students will need to have at least £9,135 available for living expenses when they apply for their visa. For those living and studying in inner London, these fees will increase to £11,385 to cover the nine-month period, while dependants will need £7,605.

    Prospective students should be aware that the area considered as “London” is also expanding, so the higher fee bracket will affect a greater number of residents.

    The new regulations will also revoke the “established presence” proviso, a qualification that meant that certain students only needed funds for two months when applying for their visa. This has a significant impact when looking at the example of a PhD student in central London. Instead of the £2,040 currently required, they will now need to have access to £11,385.

    Other recent changes

    Legislation around working while studying has also been recently amended. This was after the release of concerning statistics around the “credibility interviews” being conducted on prospective non-European Union students. The refusal rate is currently at 9% for the almost 250,000 interviews conducted over the past two years.

    Several sources have suggested that the Home Office is considering lowering the permitted visa refusal rate to 5%. This will allow institutions to maintain their status as sponsors under the Tier 4 system for overseas students.

    These changes are the latest in a series of amendments by the UK government in an attempt to ensure that these visa categories are not misused as a means of attaining UK citizenship.

    Do you need to apply for your UK Tier 4 visa to study in the UK? Don’t leave it to the last minute - email us or visit our website to start your visa application process.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.