close menu

Three things you should know about Australian migration

by 1st Contact | May 16, 2016
  • Every year thousands of people from around the world immigrate to Australia. If you’re considering making the move, here are three things you should know about Australian migration.
    3 things you should know about Australian migration

    1. Australia welcomes skilled young workers and their families

    We’ve discussed how highly sought after skilled migrants are in Australia a few times. What many people do not know is that families of skilled migrants are also extremely welcome. If you are the main applicant, your family or dependants will be put on the same visa as you. This makes moving much easier.

    2. The immigration process is long and can get complicated

    When you want to move to Australia you must first consider which visa will give you the best chance of success. There are many different categories of Australian visas. Ensuring that you apply for the right one the first time will help expedite your move.

    In our experience, Australian migration visas processing times can range from 3 – 12 months.

    Here is a list of some of the most popular visas:

    • Employer Sponsored Visa: Your employer can sponsor you to live and work in Australia.
    • Skilled Migration Visa: Australia is looking for skilled workers. If you qualify, you can live and work in Australia freely.
    • Parent Visa: Bring your parents to live with you in Australia.
    • Partner Visa: If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you might qualify.
    • Working Holiday Visa: If you’re looking for an adventure this visa will let you live and work in Australia for 12 months.

    Choosing a visa and ensuring you are applying for the appropriate one can be tricky. Be sure to seek professional advice before submitting any applications to avoid unnecessary delays. If you are curious about what visa would be best for you, simply complete our free online assessment.

    If you’d like to see a full list of Aussie visas send us an email and we’ll send you a completed list.

    3. Getting your finances in order before you go

    Visa costs

    There are no general financial requirements that must be met to apply for an Australian visa. Keep in mind that these requirements can vary depending on which state you are looking to settle in. It’s always best to consult with an expert when deciding which visa is best for you.

    Here’s a list of some of the most common visa application fees (not including our agency fees):

    • Working Holiday: $440
    • Skilled Migrant: $3,600
    • Employer Sponsored: $3,600
    • Parent Visa: $4,000 but can rise up to $50,000
    • Partner Visa: $6,939

    Opening a bank account

    There are four major banks in Australia: ANZ, NAB, Westpac and Commonwealth Bank. Each bank will allow you to apply online for an Australian bank account before you arrive in the country. You may transfer your funds to this account before you arrive, but you are not allowed to withdraw these funds until you have completed a Customer Identification Process.

    Keep in mind that completing international transfers with traditional banks can be expensive. To save your money be sure to use an independent foreign exchange provider like 1st Contact Forex when transferring your money to Australia. As an added bonus, if you email us we’ll send you a voucher that entitles you to a free money transfer when you register with 1st Contact Forex.

    To begin the process of getting your Australian visa, give our Melbourne office a call on 1800 309 300 or drop us an email.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • UK flag with calculator
      How to calculate your costs before you immigrate to the UK
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • businessman multitasking
      Everything we know about the new Tier 1 Innovator visa
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • british moving van
      Shipping household goods from South Africa to the UK, what you need to know
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • City-of-london
      Applying for a UK visa from Australia and New Zealand – what you need to know to avoid being refused
      Mar 20, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • UK Tier 1 visas set to change
      Investors out, innovators in: UK Tier 1 visas set to change
      Feb 19, 2019  |  by Gary Kockott
    • recruitment
      The UK reveals its new skills-based immigration system for EU and non-EU nationals
      Jan 22, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • London-flag
      Why so many people moved to the UK in 2018
      Dec 12, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • London-Eye
      Four of the most important things you need when moving to the UK
      Dec 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Lisbon-castle
      The Portuguese language test for citizenship and permanent residency
      Nov 28, 2018  |  by John Dunn

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.