close menu

You're never too old to get an Ancestry visa

by John Dunn | Feb 23, 2017
  • The Ancestry visa is one of the best visas for non-UK citizens that want to live and work in the UK. The great thing about this visa category is that most of the qualifying criteria are easier to satisfy compared to the other points-based visas. All you need is a grandparent who was born in the UK, it’s as simple as that. This means you can claim an Ancestry visa – no matter your age.
    Father and son smiling at each other while leaning on maroon motorbike with trees in the background

    How to prove you have a UK-born grandparent

    To prove that you have at least one grandparent who was born in the UK, you will need to provide your full birth certificate as well as the unabridged birth certificates of your parent and grandparent upon whom your ancestry claim is based.

    While UKVI requires that applicants are over the age of 17, there is no upper age limit for this visa.

    This means that all adults with a UK-born grandparent, who intend to, and are able, to work in the country for the duration of their stay may apply.

    Do you need to work in the UK to be eligible?

    Although it may seem like a barrier to entry for applicants who are past the age of retirement, the “ability to work” requirement should be no cause for concern. You can fulfil this criterion by working part-time, starting your own business or even by volunteering for a charitable organisation.

    Proving you are self-sufficient

    You will need to prove that you can survive in the UK without accessing public funds. A bank statement in your name, reflecting a balance of £1,600 will serve as sufficient evidence of this.

    How to bring your family with you

    If you have a family, you can bring your spouse and children with you. If they are from outside of the European Economic Area, you will have to prove that you have enough money to support both them and yourself without accessing public funds.

    The five-year path to indefinite leave to remain

    If you have stayed in the UK for five years and can prove that you have worked or sought employment during this time, you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain and settle permanently in the UK.

    After living in the UK for a year as a settled person you will be able (as long as other criteria are met) to apply for full British citizenship. 

    If you need help applying for an Ancestry visa or locating any of your supporting documentation, contact our immigration consultants on +44(0) 2077597527 or send us an email at and we’ll get back to you.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.


    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.