close menu

Get your NI number sorted

Simplify the process of applying for your National Insurance number. We take care of the admin and application so you can get to work as quickly as possible without worrying about whether you’re paying the right amount of tax or not.

What is a National Insurance number?

A National Insurance (NI) number is used by the UK government to track your taxes and National Insurance contributions. Everyone who wants to work in the UK needs one. You must be in the UK before the government will issue you an NI number.

If you don’t have an NI number you will pay emergency tax rates, which are higher than normal tax rates, and nobody wants to do that!

Applying for an NI number on your own can be a time-consuming process involving long, expensive phone calls and a fair amount of waiting. With our NI number service, we remove the hassle, make the calls and help with the paperwork, ensuring you have your NI number within four to six weeks without having to deal with the taxman.

How it works

  • Simply complete our easy online application form.
  • We'll call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for you and register your details. 
  • We arrange your Evidence of Identity Interview with DWP and ensure that you are fully prepared with the right documentation for your interview.
  • You should receive your NI number within four to six weeks.
  • If you do not receive your number within four to six weeks, we will follow up with the DWP for you.

National Insurance number FAQs

Trying to get your own National Insurance number sorted can be tricky. Below are some of the most common questions we receive regarding NI numbers along with some answers you’ll find useful.

What is a National Insurance number?

It's the number that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) allocates to you, in order for them to track your tax and National Insurance contributions and ensure that you are paying the correct amount.

This number is unique to you; and you keep the same number throughout your life. If you need to call the DWP or HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), they will ask you for your NI number before they are able to assist you.

Do I really need one? Friends have told me that they worked for years without an NI number.

In short, yes. While you can work for some time with a temporary NI number, the practice of using these numbers to claim back tax is no longer allowed. You will need a permanent NI number in order to claim back overpaid tax at the end of the year.

Many employers won’t employ those who don’t have an NI number, so it’s best to get it sorted as soon as possible to avoid losing out on potential employment opportunities.

Can I apply for one before I arrive in the UK?

No, the laws and policy around NI numbers require you to be in the UK with a reasonable need and right to apply for one.

What happens if I forget or lose my NI number?

If you lose or can’t remember your NI number, there are a few places you can usually check to find it. It is usually displayed on your pay slips as well as tax documents issued to you by your employer, for example, a P45 or P60 or a tax return from HMRC. You can also call the National Insurance enquiries helpline on 0300 200 3500.

What is the National Insurance contribution? Is it like tax?

National Insurance contributions are compulsory deductions taken by your employer from your earnings and given to the UK pension scheme. These contributions are separate to regular income tax and are very similar to the compulsory superannuation payments in Australia. The UK pension scheme will use these funds to pay out to retired UK citizens eligible to draw a pension.

Get your UK National Insurance number sorted


South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


201 The Annex
Ridgeside Office Park
Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 7070528) registered in England and Wales. Sable International is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Board in South Africa (FSP no. 41900) and holds an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (AFS License number 335 126).

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.