close menu

Australia’s new five-year parent visa – another way to bring your parents Down Under

by Sam Hopwood | Apr 01, 2019
  • Australian migrants will be able to sponsor their parents to live in the country for up to five or ten years thanks to a new visa sub-category. Applications for the visa open from July 2019; here’s what you need to know.
    Mother, daughter and grandmother

    The Australian Department of Home Affairs has announced a new five-year temporary parent visa. Applications open on 1 July 2019 and the new visa will be called the subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.

    Unlike other parent visas, you won’t need to meet the balance of family test. The test usually requires at least half of the applicant’s children to be citizens or permanent residents of Australia.

    Full details have not been released but we do know that the visa will:

    • Be temporary and never convert to permanent residence
    • Require the parent to be sponsored by their child who must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
    • Be capped at a maximum of 15,000 visas per year
    • Require the child to meet certain income thresholds in order to act as the sponsor
    • Require the child to be able to provide financial and accommodation support to the parent
    • Cost AUD5,000 for a visa up to three years and AUD10,000 for a visa up to five years
    • Not give the parent any work rights in Australia
    • Require the parent to hold health insurance and meet health and character checks

    From 17 April 2019, it will be possible for the child/sponsor of the parent to submit an online application to have their sponsorship considered. These sponsorship applications will cost AUD420 and must be approved before the parent can apply for a visa on 1 July 2019.

    Got questions about the new visa?

    Other routes to Australia

    There are other temporary long-stay options available that might be more suitable and affordable for parents.

    It’s possible to get a visitor visa that’s valid for up to three years, which allows the holder to remain in Australia for 12 months at a time.

    The conditions for this long-term visitor visa are that:

    • You may stay in Australia for up to 12 months during an 18-month period
    • After 12 months, you must leave Australia for six months before you can re-enter
    • You must have previously had an Australian visa

    This type of visitor visa costs AUD145, takes a month to process and can be applied for multiple times.

    There are also various other parent visas available if you’re looking to live permanently in the country and you satisfy the balance of family .

    What’s the best option?

    The advantage of the new Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa is that you don’t need to meet the balance of family test and, unlike a visitor visa, you can stay uninterrupted in Australia. This makes it a good option if you don’t qualify for another type of parent visa, but it’s not a permanent migration solution.  

    If you’re looking to move to Australia permanently and you meet the balance of family test, one of your choices is to come to Australia and apply for an aged parent visa. Unfortunately, due to the yearly cap on placements for this visa, waiting times are over 30 years, but by applying in Australia you can remain in the country on a bridging visa while the application is in process. Another, faster option is the Contributory Parent visa, but this comes with greatly-increased costs.

    The Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa is an alternative to the long wait times of permanent parent visa routes, but it’s also quite costly. It’s not only the price of the visa, but also the fact that parents need to have private healthcare when staying in Australia.

    A long-term visitor visa is a lot more affordable, but it won’t let you stay uninterrupted. No matter which option you’re set on, it’s better to discuss your situation with an Australian visa expert. They can help you decide on the best route for your unique circumstances.

    For any visa queries and applications, get in touch with our registered Australian immigration advisors at or call +61 (0) 3 8651 4500.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.