close menu

A guide to securing British citizenship as an EU national

by Philip Gamble | Feb 08, 2018
  • If you’re an EU national and want to secure your rights in the UK, the best way to do that is to apply for British citizenship now. If you've been wondering how to get this process started, this article should help you on your way.

    British citizenship vs permanent residence

    In the UK, permanent residence is the legal right to live in the UK permanently, without the need to apply for visas to remain in the country. Permanent residence is granted after completing a period of five years qualifying residence in the UK, and it often leads to naturalisation as a British citizen. You can only apply for a British passport once you have been granted British citizenship.

    Step 1: Get a permanent residence card

    As an EU national, you to be able to live in the UK, if you are exercising your treaty rights. This can be done through employment, being a student or being otherwise self-sufficient. Note that those who have spent time in the UK as a student or being self-sufficient will be required to show that they’ve held comprehensive sickness insurance during any periods of being self-sufficient or studying.

    After completing five years qualifying residence in the UK, EU nationals will be granted permanent residence automatically. As the status is granted automatically, one doesn’t specifically need to apply for permanent residence. However, it is highly recommended that you obtain a permanent residence card confirming your permanent residence and as proof of your right to work in the UK, as employers are likely to request evidence of your right to work.

    Additionally, on 27 October 2015, new regulations were introduced to prevent EU nationals from applying for British citizenship if they did not first hold a card certifying their permanent residence. Therefore, you need to obtain a permanent residence card before you can apply for British citizenship.

    You can apply for your permanent residence card by filling in the relevant application forms and posting it to the Home Office, along with supporting documents. You will also be expected to supply your biometric information as part of the application process (including digital photos of your face, your fingerprints and your signature). The Home Office will send a letter requesting the same. Your biometric information can be processed at certain post offices.

    Step 2: Apply for British citizenship

    Generally speaking, you have to hold permanent residence for 12 months before you can apply for British citizenship. In most cases, EU nationals will have held permanent residence long before they’ve obtained their permanent residence card, so it may be possible to apply for British citizenship as soon as you have your card certifying your permanent residence.

    In addition to holding a permanent residence card, you will also need to meet the following criteria to be eligible for British citizenship:

    What about children who are EU nationals?

    The current position for children who are EU nationals living in the UK is complicated. Children also need to apply for permanent residence after five years before they can apply for British citizenship. The problem is that they are disadvantaged when applying for permanent residence because they don’t have documents such as tax receipts or lease agreements to prove that they have been a resident in the UK for the required amount of time. At present, school admission data is not allowed to be used as evidence, so sourcing acceptable documentary evidence can be an administrative nightmare.

    Children born overseas who have been living in the UK for some time with their EU national parents may already be British, but this will depend on when the family moved to the UK. The position for children born in the UK is equally as complicated as again, it will depend on the European regulations and British nationality legislation in force at the time of their birth. Getting in touch with an experienced British citizenship consultant who can analyse your unique circumstances and advise you on the best course of action is your best move in these situations. 

    Need assistance with your application?

    But what about Brexit?

    Given that Brexit is looming, the future status of EU nationals living in the UK is incredibly difficult to predict. To protect your rights to live and work in the UK, we urge you to secure your status in the UK as soon as possible.

    If you have been living in the UK for five years or more, secure your permanent residence card. If you already have your permanent residence card, ensure that you apply to naturalise as a British citizen sooner rather than later.

    Get in touch with our team of immigration and citizenship experts to get your application started. No matter how complex your case, we can assist you at every step of the way. Give us a call on +44 (0) 20 7759 7581 or send us an email on

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Portugal panaroma
      Portugal’s Non-Habitual Residence programme: How you can make your income tax-free
      Nov 12, 2019  |  by Cláudia Mendes
    • Figuera da Foz seascape
      Silver Coast Portugal: Your guide to a dream expat destination
      Oct 14, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • No-deal Brexit flags
      [Update] What a no-deal Brexit means for EU nationals
      Sep 09, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Portugual school children
      Moving to Portugal – how to choose the right school for your children
      Mar 06, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Lisbon-aerial
      Why the Portugal Golden Visa remains the best in the world
      Jan 31, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Brexit
      Here’s what the new EU Settlement Scheme will mean for EU nationals living in the UK
      Jan 24, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • UK-family
      UK citizenship case study: How an adopted child can have more rights than a natural child
      Nov 19, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • british-passport-on-map
      Claim a British passport from your great grandparent
      Oct 16, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • porto-bridge-sunshine-portugal
      A more affordable way to get an EU residency
      Jul 30, 2018  |  by Andrew Rissik
    • portuguese-flag-blue-sky
      South African investors set their eyes on Portugal’s booming property market
      Jun 29, 2018  |  by Andrew Rissik

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.