close menu

Healthcare workers: Your guide to claiming a professional tax rebate

by John Dunn | Aug 12, 2014
  • If you’re a nurse, midwife, doctor, dentist or other professional working in the UK’s healthcare industry, you could be due a professional tax rebate. Here’s how to check if you’re eligible.
    Tax refunds

    What can you claim for? 

    Tax claims are not only limited to the most recent tax year, but to the last four tax years as well. This means that you can submit a claim for expenses incurred over the past four tax years, provided you haven’t claimed during this period.

    Anyone working in the healthcare profession could be eligible. If you wear a uniform or protective clothing, subscribe to any professional bodies or use your car for work purposes, chances are you will be eligible for a refund.

    For example, if you wear a uniform or protective clothing and pay for the cleaning yourself, you could be reimbursed for these cleaning costs. In certain instances, the costs of nurses’ tights and shoes will be refunded – HMRC currently allows an amount of £6 for tights and £12 for shoes per tax year.

    By the same token, if you use your car for work purposes, for instance to visit or drop off medicine for a patient, you could be eligible for a rebate on these travel costs.

    Subscriptions to professional bodies can also be reimbursed as part of your professional tax rebate. These include fees paid to Unison, Royal College of Nursing (RCN), Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), Association of British Paediatric Nurses (ABPN), Association of Occupational Health Nurse Practitioners (AOHP), UK MS Specialist Nurses Association (UKMSSNA), Neonatal Nurses Association (NNA), Royal College of Midwives (RCM) and the Association of Radical Midwives (ARM).

    How do I claim?

    The first step is simply to fill out our online application form. From there, we’ll send you a Claim Pack, which you’ll need to return to us along with your P60s and P45s.

    Don’t be one of the thousands of healthcare workers who miss out on substantial tax refunds by not claiming their healthcare tax rebate. Speak to a qualified 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant on +44 (0) 808 141 5503 or visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds for a free assessment.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.