close menu

How a World Passport got Mos Def thrown in jail

by Roderick MacLeod | Jan 20, 2016
  • The World Passport is back in the headlines this week thanks to Yasiin Bey (formerly Mos Def), who was arrested this week in South Africa. After arriving in the country some time ago, on a US passport, he attempted to leave on a World Passport. Below is a breakdown on what a World Passport is and where you can (and can’t) use them.
    How  world passport got Mos Def thrown in jail

    The World Passport

    The World Service Authority (WSA) is an organisation that aspires to do away with the borders that define nation states around the globe. As a symbolic attempt to represent the “inalienable human right of freedom of travel on planet earth”, the WSA issues applicants a World Passport.

    The organisation aims for the passport to one day become widely accepted across the globe. However, over the last 50 years only 150 countries have accepted it; mostly on a case-by-case basis. At this point, there are only six countries that officially recognise the passport: Zambia, Togo, Tanzania, Mauritania, Ecuador and Burkina Faso.

    Where does it work?

    Developing countries in Africa and South America are far more likely to accept these passports. However, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will successfully gain entrance to or, as Yasiin Bey has learned, exit the country. The WSA has warned its members that the passport “almost never” works in developed countries like the United States, Canada, Germany and France.

    You will not be able to travel to South Africa, Australia or the UK on a World Passport. It is essential that you check what the visa requirements are for the passport you hold before embarking on your flight.

    1st Contact Visas offers comprehensive tourist, work and travel visa services. If you need help choosing and/or applying for a visa to the UK or Australia, give us a shout.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.