close menu

Taking the leap: What you should know about limited company setup

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Dec 01, 2016
  • Forming a limited company can be a positive step for your business. It provides you with limited liability, tax efficiency and a professional image. However, the finances, accounts and taxes of a limited company require a somewhat different management approach than those of an individual. Below are a few things you need to watch out for when you decide to incorporate.
    Limited company

    Separation of finances

    Limited companies are legal entities in their own right, meaning that the owner’s and the company’s finances must be kept separate.

    If you need to move money from your company’s account to your private account, you can do so legitimately by paying yourself a salary, making use of expenses or paying yourself a dividend.

    Corporation Tax

    Operating a limited company entails accounting for income and expenditure, and done well, the company you own should make profits (where income is more than the expenditure). Any profits that are made will be subject to Corporation Tax nine months after the end of each financial year. To prevent a nasty shock when the bill arrives, put 20% of your monthly sales into a separate account. Corporation Tax is payable on all your profits so it’s best to be prepared.

    Some good news: Corporation tax is set to decrease to 17% by 2020.

    VAT returns

    Once your company earns, or is expected to earn, above the relevant VAT threshold (currently £83,000), your limited company will need to register for VAT with HMRC and then complete and submit periodic returns. These must be submitted even if you do not owe any VAT. If you do not keep up to date with these returns you may have to pay a fine.


    Even if you are the only employee in your limited company, you still need to register a PAYE payroll scheme with HMRC and notify them every time you pay yourself. If you pay for your personal expenses through the company, you must reimburse these expenses or you could be taxed.

    Once you have set up a payroll, you need to notify HMRC whenever you make payments, and submit an Employer Payment Summary for periods with no payments. As with VAT returns, you will receive a fine if you do not keep up to date with these payroll returns (called “real time information” or RTI returns).

    Enlisting help

    Operating through a limited company may mean more admin, but the professional and financial gains make it worth it. It can get quite complicated when trying to do this on your own and having a professional to help you get incorporated is the best way to avoid trouble.

    If you have any questions about forming a limited company, or your accounting needs, give us a call on +44 (0) 20 7759 7553 or get in touch via email

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.