close menu

Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa

by Guest writer | Jul 08, 2019
  • You’ve made the decision to take some time away from your home country and spend it in Australia. Whether you’re looking for adventure, interested in learning more about a new culture or have always really wanted to go, here’s what you need to prepare for your trip.
    Australia skyline

    Now that your momentous decision is out of the way, it’s time to turn your dream into reality. One important part of your pre-trip preparations is getting an Australian working holiday visa.

    Why do I need an Australian working holiday visa?

    To live and work in Australia for a short period of time, you need a working holiday visa. With this visa you can be in Australia for up to 12 months. If you work in a specific industry in regional Australia for at least three months, you can extend your visa by another 12 months.

    This visa does not allow you to bring dependants with you, so if you have children you may have to choose another route to Australia.

    The visa also stipulates that you can’t work for the same employer for longer than six months. If you’re planning on staying for longer than a year, ensure your plans account for this restriction.

    How do I apply?

    You’ll need to meet the visa’s eligibility requirements.

    These include:

    • Being between 18 and 31 years of age
    • Having AUD5,000 to support yourself during your stay
    • Not previously entering Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462 visa)
    • Having a passport from an eligible country*

    *Eligible countries include: Belgium, Ireland, Canada, Italy, Cyprus, Japan, Denmark, South Korea, Estonia, Malta, Finland, Netherlands, France, Norway, Germany, Sweden, Hong Kong, Taiwan and the UK

    If your partner is planning on coming with you, he or she must apply for an Australian working holiday visa and will need to meet the criteria as well.

    Need assistance with your application?

    A MARA-registered immigration advisor can help you understand the Australia working holiday visa requirements and ensure your application is completed correctly.

    Don’t forget your travel insurance

    An important part of preparing to temporarily move to Australia for work is purchasing a travel insurance plan. When you travel to another country, your medical coverage from home may not follow you. If you find yourself in a serious medical situation, you may be responsible for covering the costs.

    If you’re from one of the countries in Australia’s Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) you will have limited access to Medicare benefits. The level of coverage depends on which country you’re from.

    Here are a few of the things that aren’t covered by the RHCA:

    • Ambulance transportation to the hospital: $400 – $1000+
    • Cancelling your trip: $4,000+
    • Medical repatriation to your home country: $25,000 – $500,000
    • Emergency dental treatment: $1,000+
    • Baggage loss: $500+
    • Anything that happens outside of Australia: $1,000+

    The benefit of travel insurance

    Let’s say you’re in Bali, and get attacked by a monkey at the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary, or you  get knocked down by a rogue wave and break your back at Bondi Beach – you’ll be liable for medical costs which could reach the thousands. This is why it’s so important to purchase travel insurance – you know you’re protected against any unforeseen situations. One great option is a travel medical plan.

    Travel medical plans help you if you are sick or injured during your time in another country. These plans cover a wide variety of medical expenses, including emergency medical evacuations, political and natural disaster evacuation and terrorism. They can offer zero deductibles. These plans also include lower level benefits for loss of luggage and trip interruption.

    Looking for the perfect place to purchase travel medical insurance? Try Seven Corners. They are a travel insurance company that’s been around for more than 25 years and serves more than a million customers each year. If you have any questions about coverage, call +1 1-800-335-0611 or +1 317-818-2808 or email

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.