close menu

The Self Assessment tax return deadline is approaching: We can help

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jan 17, 2017
  • It’s that time of the year again, when certain individuals in the UK need to file their Self Assessment tax returns. You may have received a letter from HMRC reminding you that you need to do one. However, just because you’ve not received such a letter does not mean you aren’t required to submit a Self Assessment return.
    an image of a young man who look worried

    Do I need to submit a Self Assessment tax return?

    Many people who work in the UK and pay income tax are not sure if they need to submit a Self Assessment. We’ve compiled a short list below that should help you work out whether you need to submit a Self Assessment tax return before 31 January.

    Consider these questions:

    • Are you self-employed?
    • Are you a company director?
    • Do you have an annual income of £100,000 or more?
    • Do you have income from savings, investments or properties?
    • Do you receive income from overseas?
    • Do you have income from trusts, settlements and estates?
    • Do you have Capital Gains Tax to pay?

    If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you will most likely have to complete a Self Assessment and submit it to HMRC.

    Most people who get in touch with us are worried that they will fill in their Self Assessment incorrectly or not get it submitted in time. These are valid fears and that’s why we are here to help. Our experts will ensure that everything is correctly submitted on your tax return, so you don’t have to pay any penalties.

    Don’t get penalised

    Unlike employees, who generally pay tax through PAYE, directors and self-employed individuals living in the UK must submit Self Assessment tax returns.

    This can be a complex and time-consuming procedure, and should be done well in advance to avoid fines and unnecessary stress. As we approach the 31 January deadline, you will need to make sure that your tax affairs are dealt with efficiently and accurately to avoid having to pay penalties.

    Get expert help with your return right now

    It is possible to complete and file your own Self Assessment tax return, but it can very quickly become complex – besides being a tedious process.

    You will also probably be left wondering if you have completed it correctly, especially where you have multiple sources of income. These fears are valid; that’s why we are here to help.

    Let us remove the stress of filing your return with our Self Assessment service.

    Our team of experts will help you through this process online or in person, so that you can get on with your career, with the peace of mind that your tax affairs are in order.

    Fill in the form on this page, or speak to a Self Assessment expert right now by calling +44 (0) 20 7759 7553 or sending an email to

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.