close menu

What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?

by John Dunn | Nov 08, 2019
  • The UK offers a variety of visas that allow non-EU nationals to travel and move to the UK with their partner. Knowing which one is right for your circumstances can be confusing, particularly when there are so many terms associated with the partner visa. We look at these in detail to help you figure out which visa you need.
    visa application

    What is a Marriage Visitor visa?

    A Marriage Visitor visa is a short-term visa that allows you and your partner to travel to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership. You should apply for this visa if you’re a non-EU national who only intends on having your wedding ceremony in the UK and do not want to stay or settle there permanently. Both you and your partner will need to apply for a visa.

    You can stay in the UK for up to six months on a Marriage Visitor visa, which gives you plenty of time to explore the UK after your wedding.

    How to get a Marriage Visitor visa

    When you apply for a visa, you must provide proof that you:

    • Are 18 years or older
    • Are in a genuine relationship
    • Are only visiting the UK for less than six months and plan on leaving at the end of your visit
    • Have sufficient funds to support your stay and leave the UK

    In your application, you will need to include relevant documents that support the above requirements. This can include travel documents and proof that a wedding venue has been booked. It’s important that you submit the right documents, or your visa may be refused. If you’re unsure of what evidence is required, an immigration advisor can guide you through your application and ensure you provide the correct documents.

    What is a spouse or partner or fiancé visa?

    If you want to move to the UK to live with a spouse or partner, this is the visa you need. You can apply if you are married to or in a long-term relationship with a British citizen, intend on getting married or becoming civil partners within six months of arriving in the UK or plan on settling in the UK.

    See also: Four of the most important things you need when moving to the UK

    UK Spouse or partner visa requirements

    To be eligible for this visa, your partner must be one of the following:

    • A British citizen
    • A permanent resident in the UK

    You cannot apply for this visa if your partner is in the UK on a Tier 2 or Tier 4 visa. You will need to apply as a dependant instead.

    The spouse or partner visa is valid for two-and-a-half years and allows you to live and work in the UK. You can also travel in and out of the UK as often as you like, but you must remember the residency requirement which you must meet to be eligible for indefinite leave to remain or naturalise as a British citizen.

    If you want to remain in the UK when your visa comes to an end, you can extend it for a further two-and-a-half years. Thereafter, you can apply for permanent UK residency and later citizenship (should you meet the requirements).

    Things to consider when applying for a spouse or partner visa

    The financial requirement

    To be eligible for the spouse or partner visa, the British citizen must meet the financial requirement through one or a combination of the categories below:

    • Self-employment
    • Cash savings
    • Salaried employment
    • Dividends, investments or other income
    • Pension income

    It’s a good idea to do a thorough assessment of your financial circumstances before applying for your visa. This will help you determine your best options for meeting the income requirement.

    See also: How to calculate your costs before you immigrate to the UK

    Proving your relationship

    To support your application, you’ll need to provide evidence that you and your partner are in a genuine relationship. To do this, you must provide documents that show:

    • You are in a relationship or married
    • You spend time together or are in frequent contact
    • You pay for things together

    The most common reason visas are refused is because there’s not enough evidence included in the application.

    Have a question about your visa application?

    Get help with your visa application

    Before making your visa application, it’s a good idea to look into the types of visas the UK offers to find the one that best suits your immediate and long-term plans. No visa application is the same and requirements vary according to your circumstances.

    We always recommend getting advice from an immigration advisor first. They can assess your circumstances and find the right solution for you. UK visas are costly and errors on your application could result in your visa being refused.

    An immigration consultant can also help get all your documents in order, submit the application on your behalf and ensure your application has a greater chance of success.

    Our specialist immigration advisors can find the visa that’s right for you. Call us on +44 (0) 20 7759 5330 or send an email to

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.