close menu

What you need to know about the UK's English Language Test

by 1st Contact | Sep 03, 2013
  • If you are a non-European migrant wanting to enter or extend your stay in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person already settled in the UK, you must now show that you can speak and understand English at an acceptable level.

    You must meet this requirement if:

    1. You are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland,
    2. You are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled here, and
    3. You want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as that person's husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner.

    The requirement applies to applications for entry clearance, leave to enter, leave to remain and further leave to remain.

    Please note that this does not apply to indefinite leave to remain or citizenship applications, where the existing Knowledge of Life in the UK requirement applies instead.

    In order to meet the English language requirement, you must show one of the following:

    • That you are a national of a majority English-speaking country,
    • That you have passed an English language test approved by UKBA, or
    • That you hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree or above.

    Evidence needed:

    To show that you are a national of a majority English-speaking country, you will need to submit your current original passport or travel document.

    To show that you have passed the English language test, you must submit with your application, your original test result certificate showing your name, the qualification and the date it was received as well as the UKBA-approved test centre.

    To show that you hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, you must submit the original academic certificate on the institute’s official letterhead, showing your name, the title of the degree and the date it was obtained.

    Exemptions to English language requirements:

    There are certain exceptional circumstances where you do not need to meet the UK's English Language Test requirement. You will need to provide evidence of one of the following to qualify for exemption:

    • That you are aged 65 or over when you make your application,
    • That you have a physical or mental condition which would prevent you from meeting the requirement, or
    • That there are exceptional compassionate circumstances which would prevent you from meeting the requirement.

    For any help or advice regarding UK visas, please visit our visas section.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • UK flag with calculator
      How to calculate your costs before you immigrate to the UK
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • businessman multitasking
      Everything we know about the new Tier 1 Innovator visa
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • british moving van
      Shipping household goods from South Africa to the UK, what you need to know
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • City-of-london
      Applying for a UK visa from Australia and New Zealand – what you need to know to avoid being refused
      Mar 20, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • UK Tier 1 visas set to change
      Investors out, innovators in: UK Tier 1 visas set to change
      Feb 19, 2019  |  by Gary Kockott
    • recruitment
      The UK reveals its new skills-based immigration system for EU and non-EU nationals
      Jan 22, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • London-flag
      Why so many people moved to the UK in 2018
      Dec 12, 2018  |  by John Dunn

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.