close menu

The financial requirement for your UK working holiday visa has changed

by Sam Hopwood | Oct 25, 2017
  • The Tier 5 working holiday visa is a popular way for young Aussies to gain work experience in the UK and to travel throughout Europe. The UKVI has just made a significant change to the visa’s financial requirements. We go into the details of this change below.

    The basic UK working holiday visa requirements

    The requirements for the Tier 5 visa are relatively easy to satisfy. To qualify for this visa, you must:

    • Be between 18 and 30 years old
    • Hold a passport from a participating country (like Australia or New Zealand)
    • Have £1,890 available to you

    You don’t qualify if:

    • You have children who you are responsible for
    • You have already been to the UK on this visa

    So, what’s changed?

    Previously, the financial requirement was that you had to have £1,890 available to you. UKVI have now altered this requirement. The amount is still the same, but you now need to have at least £1,890 in a bank account, in your name, for at least 90 days prior to your application to qualify for a Tier 5 visa.

    This means that you’ll need to plan ahead and ensure that you have saved adequately prior to applying for your visa. The earliest you can apply for your visa is six months before you travel. Once you have applied for your visa, you should get a decision within three weeks. We recommend that you make sure you have the funds in your bank account well in advance and apply for your visa as soon as possible to avoid unexpected delays.

    What you can and can’t do on your working holiday

    This visa allows you to enter and exit the UK as you please and Australian passport holders can travel around Europe’s Schengen area for 90 days within a 180-day period. This is what makes it great for those wanting to travel around Europe during their working holiday.

    You are also allowed to study (so long as this is not your main purpose for being in the UK), and work in most jobs except as a professional sportsperson or doctor or dentist in training - unless you qualified in the UK. You may not access public funds, bring dependants with you or extend your stay once your visa has expired.

    Get your working holiday off to a cracking start

    It’s often difficult to know where to begin planning for something like a two-year working holiday. How do you find a job? Get a UK bank account? Sort out accommodation? What if you forget something important? Fear not. We have a comprehensive solution to settle your relocation concerns.

    Our Tier 5 visa Kickstart package includes specialist help with your Tier 5 visa application, UK bank account set up, accommodation help, job assistance, a UK mobile SIM card as well as a guide to living and working in the UK. We take the stress out of moving to the UK. You’ll have absolutely everything you need to get your life in the UK off to the best possible start.

    To get your life in the UK off to the best possible start, get in touch with our Australian office on or +61 3 8651 4500

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Mother, daughter and grandmother
      Australia’s new five-year parent visa – another way to bring your parents Down Under
      Apr 01, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.