close menu

Reunite your family with the new Aussie parent visa

by Sam Hopwood | Jul 20, 2017
  • The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has announced a new visa: The temporary sponsored parent visa. This will allow as many as 15,000 Australians to bring their parents over to Australia every year, starting from November 2017.
    Australian flag by the beach

    It just got easier to bring your parents to Australia

    The existing Parent visa (subclass 103) takes over 20 years to be granted, and the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) requires a very steep visa application fee, as well as a costly Assurance of Support bond. These obstacles mean that many people are faced with the reality of leaving their parents behind when immigrating to Australia, and these parents are losing out on irreplaceable years that could be spent with their children and grandchildren. 

    The temporary sponsored parent visa will solve some of these problems. The visa will allow Australian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents to stay in Australia for up to five years at a time. The visa may be renewed from outside of Australia to allow a cumulative stay of up to ten years. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will undertake a review of the temporary sponsored parent visa at the end of the first program year.

    See also: Get help navigating Australia's stricter visa rules

    How to sponsor your parent

    The sponsor of the parent must meet the following requirements before the visa application can be made; the sponsor must:

    • Be a biological, adoptive, or step-child of the parent
    • Provide valid evidence of identity
    • Be 18 years or older
    • Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
    • Have lived in Australia for at least four years
    • Meet a household income requirement
    • Meet the character requirements
    • Accept legal liability for any outstanding public health debt their sponsored parent accrues

    Note: There is no English language requirement for this visa.

    Need help getting an Aussie parent visa?

    How to apply for this visa

    The visa applicant must meet identity, health and character requirements and not have any outstanding public health debt in Australia. The applicant is required to hold health insurance from an Australian provider for the duration of their intended stay.

    The visa will cost AUD 10,000 for five years and AUD 5,000 for three years.

    Our registered migration agents in Melbourne will ensure your visa application has the greatest chance of success. Get in touch with us via email on or give us a call on +61 3 86514500 

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • pound-hand
      South Africans and Australians can expect to pay more for access to the UK’s National Health Service
      Oct 16, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • employee-hired
      UK employers are always liable for illegal foreign hires
      Sep 05, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • plumber-electrician
      Up your pay Down Under: Plumbers and electricians needed in Australia
      Aug 16, 2018  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • CV-Hired
      Just landed in the UK? We’ll help you conquer the UK job market
      Aug 14, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • student-working-on-laptop
      Are you an EU national going to go study in the UK? Here’s how to get your NI number
      Aug 08, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • australia-multicolour-skyline
      An Australian visa for South Africans over 45
      Jul 26, 2018  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • graduation-students
      Is there life after graduation in the UK? These are your UK visa options
      Jul 24, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • koalas
      A quick guide to the Australian partner visa
      Jul 16, 2018  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • london-eye
      Why having a partner on an Ancestry visa is the best
      Jul 16, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • businessman-riding-wave
      New UK visa for entrepreneurs doesn’t require you to have a degree
      Jul 03, 2018  |  by John Dunn

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    201 The Annex
    Ridgeside Office Park
    Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    Castlewood House
    77/91 New Oxford Street
    WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


    5-7 Selsdon Road
    South Croydon
    CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.