close menu

Three important things to know about Australian migration

by Sam Hopwood | Jun 23, 2016
  • Every year thousands of families and individuals from around the world immigrate to Australia. If you’re considering making the move Down Under, there are three things you need to know.

    1. Australia welcomes skilled young workers and their families

    Skilled migrants are extremely sought after in Australia. So much so that the Australian government has several visas that allow you to bring your family with you when you immigrate. Your family or dependants will often be put on the same visa class as you, the main visa applicant. This makes immigrating a much less stressful affair.

    2. The immigration process is long and can get complicated

    As with any country, when moving to Australia you have to asses which visa you are most likely to qualify for. Applying for the right visa will help ensure that your application gets approved as quickly as possible.

    Processing times for Australian migration visas can range from 3 – 12 months. Ensure that you apply far enough in advance of your planned immigration date.

    These are some of the most popular visa options:

    • Employer Sponsored Visa: Your employer can sponsor you to live and work in Australia. 
    • Skilled Migration Visa: If you work in an industry specified on the Skilled Occupation List, you might qualify to live and work in Australia freely. 
    • Parent Visa: Bring your parents to live with you in Australia. 
    • Partner Visa: If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you might qualify. 
    • Working Holiday Visa: If you’re looking for an adventure, this visa will let you live and work in Australia for 12 months.
    Choosing a visa and ensuring you are applying for the appropriate one can be tricky. Be sure to seek professional advice before submitting any applications to avoid unnecessary delays. Our Australian-registered immigration agents are authorised to provide you with advice and services about Australian immigration law.

    For a complete list of visas offered by the Australian government, send us an email and we’ll send you a comprehensive list.

    3. Getting your finances in order before you go

    Visa costs

    Beyond the application fees for the various visas, there are no general financial requirements that must be met to qualify for an Australian visa. However, this may vary depending on which state you are looking to settle in. Ask us if you’re unsure about financial requirements.

    Opening a bank account

    ANZ, NAB, Westpac and Commonwealth Bank are the most well-known banks in Australia. If you are moving to Australia, they will allow you to open an account online. This will enable you to transfer money into your new Australian bank account.

    Do note: You will only be allowed to make withdrawals from your account once you have completed the Customer Identification Process. This will require you to be physically present in Australia to furnish the banks with the documents and proof needed to verify your ownership of the account.

    When immigrating, it is likely that you will need to transfer large sums of money to your new home. Doing this through traditional banks can be costly and time-consuming. Don’t let your bank overcharge you, we’ll put you in touch with our forex division.

    Sable Forex is an independent foreign exchange provider that specialises in sending private and corporate funds to major destinations around the world.

    To begin the process of getting your Australian visa, give our Melbourne office a call on 1800 199 911 or send an email to

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.