close menu

10 interesting facts about the UK working holiday visa

by John Dunn | Nov 27, 2017
  • A two-year UK working holiday has been a popular option for Aussie and New Zealand youths for years. The Tier 5 working holiday visa allows young travellers to experience all that the UK has to offer, as well as work and earn Pounds while they’re there. Here are a few lesser-known truths about this popular visa.
    1. The Tier 5 working holiday visa is wildly popular with Aussie youths looking to explore the UK and Europe. 11,265 Tier 5 visas were granted to Australians in 2016; that’s 50% of all the Tier 5 visas granted that year!


    2. You may not settle in the UK after your Tier 5 visa expires, but you do have the option of applying for a different visa and extending your stay when your working holiday is over.


    3. In 2008, only 376 Tier 5 visas were issued, but the number of Tier 5 visas issued in 2016 stood at 22,342. That’s a 5,842% increase! It seems more and more young people are recognising the benefits of working and traveling abroad.


    4. If you have dependant children, you are unfortunately not eligible for the Tier 5 visa. This visa is aimed at young people who do not have the financial responsibilities (and alleged joys) of being a parent.


    5. Only one Tier 5 visa was issued to someone in Monaco in 2016. Who could blame them really? Who’d ever want to leave the principality??


    6. You may not access UK public funds while on your Tier 5 visa. This is to ensure visa holders do not become a burden to the system. You do, however, have access to world-class healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS) when you pay the immigration health surcharge with your visa application.


    7. As anyone who was born in the mid-80’s knows, when you hit the big 30, the holiday is well and truly over. Anyone over the age of 30 cannot apply for the Tier 5 visa.


    8. The UKVI changed the financial requirement in October 2017: You now have to have held the required £1,890 in your bank account for at least 90 days prior to your visa application. Previously, you just needed to show you had the money in your account when you applied.


    9. The Tier 5 visa used to officially be called the Working Holiday visa. The name changed to the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa in November 2008, however it is still often referred to as the working holiday visa.


    10. Only those from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan are eligible for the Tier 5 visa. South Africans used to be eligible for this visa through a reciprocal agreement with the UK government, however this agreement ended.

    If you’re interested in taking a working holiday, our Tier 5 Kickstart Package will ensure you get your visa, as well as all the information you need to hit the ground running when you land in the UK. Get in touch with us on or +1800 039 300.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • isle-of-skye-uk
      The top 10 places to visit in the UK (that are not London)
      Nov 08, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • stethoscope-uk-flag-nhs
      Moving to the UK? Here’s some great news about the NHS
      Oct 18, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • House-and-family-in-hand
      Read this before immigrating to the UK with your children
      Oct 02, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • atm-hand-cards-bank
      How to open a bank account in the UK
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.