close menu

Australian government cuts holiday visa fees and taxes

by Sam Hopwood | Sep 29, 2016
  • The Australian Government has announced that it will reduce the cost of a working holidaymaker visa from AUD440 to AUD390 from 1 January 2017.
    Working holidaymakers

    In a media statement, MP Scott Morrison also announced that the proposed increases to working holidaymaker tax rates would not go ahead.

    Earnings up to AUD37,000 will be taxed at 19%, instead of the proposed 32.5%, with a marginal rate applying to any income above that amount.

    To ensure the fair treatment of working holidaymakers and maintain the integrity of the programme, employers will need to register with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). Those who do not register will be required to withhold tax at the 32.5% rate.

    Numbers of working holidaymakers in Australia have been in decline since 2012. This can be attributed to a number of factors, including fluctuating exchange rates and less favourable economic conditions in major source countries. The lower tax rates and visa costs are an attempt to boost the number of working holidaymakers to the country.

    The Australian government also plans to introduce more flexible arrangements within the working holidaymaker programme. Employers with premises in different regions will be allowed to employ a holder of this visa for 12 months, with the employee entitled to work for up to six months in each region.

    Tourism Australia is set to promote the country to potential working holidaymakers through a new AUD10 million global youth-targeted advertising campaign.

    Keen to start your adventure Down Under? Our team of Registered Migration Agents will help you get your visa and start your journey in no time. Pop them an email or give them a call on +61 1800 039 300.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.